Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ghost Hunters...Spartanburg style

So, we rarely blog about our jobs; I'm not sure why this is...we both love what we do and have great work environments. I personally think I have the best job on the planet which is why I wanted to tell everyone about how The Trust has gotten involved with our very own "Ghost Hunters"....
I have to express my excitement about this upcoming event related to the Duncan-DuPre House. For those of you who don't know about this Preservation Trust project...the Duncan-DuPre House (aka William Wallace Duncan home) was built in 1886 by a Methodist Bishop who also happened to be a Civil War chaplain and a Wofford College graduate turned professor. The home originally stood at 249 North Church Street in downtown Spartanburg and was moved in 1999 a few blocks away to Howard Street (next to the Magnolia Street Cemetery).


Long story short, almost ten years later, The Trust has dedicated itself to a full restoration of the home. The project will cost approximately $1.1 M, and we have been grant writing and fundraising for about one year now (about $400,000 remains). The house has already undergone a phase of stabilization (see below) and we are now awaiting bids from contractors.

What does this have to do with hunting ghosts? Well, this week Kristi (my boss) and I were contacted by Angela Roper of Ghost Tours Spartanburg. She has always had an interest in the house and took a photograph of the home several years ago; when developed, that photograph revealed a figure in the front window of the house. Last week, Angela was contacted by a ghost hunting group out of North Carolina (PSI-Paranormal Scene Investigators) who want to do an investigation at the Duncan-DuPre house...this Saturday! According to their website, P.S.I. uses scientific and factual data in their investigation to determine if paranormal activity is present. They will set up cameras, voice recorders, digital thermometers and the like to figure out if there is any activity in the house.
Whether you believe or not, it is pretty darn exciting. I'll update you with the results!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sooooo exciting to hear about your work Becca. Hope you keep us filled in on what happens.
Ganz

Kent said...

Oooh cool! Ghost Hunters is one of my favorite shows, but I won't watch it alone! LOL! I can't wait to see the results!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think this is GREAT!! I do hope there are ghosts there-how exciting!!I DO believe[have had too many 'experiences' myself not to].There is a show-"Ghost Hunters"; maybe the Dupre house will be on it one day. Regardless, this is awsome!! Emme

Anonymous said...

Hi! Any updates on their investigation? I too have had a facination with this home since I was a child. Last year I was driving by and stopped to take pictures of the house! When I got home and reviewed all that I took, to my suprise, I had a gentleman standing in the front right window of which I believe is the "sitting room"! Would this be the same area from which Angela received her image also? I am trying to figure out who he may be, as I was told he was Mr Duncan himself when shown to another source! Thanks for the information, and I look forward to seeing for news!

Remsen and Becca Parrish.... said...

Wow--a Mr. Duncan sighting would be quite powerful, and I would love to see it with my own eyes! Can you contact me offline through the Preservation Trust website? I can go through the potential lineage of Duncans and Dupres and update you on the project.