Wednesday, July 9, 2008

R.I.P, Mr. Bunny

As many of you know, the Parrish family lives in a the nice, wooded setting near the Cottonwood Trail, and our yard has received many furry visitors in the past five years. One of my favorite animals to watch (and photograph) has been a little brown rabbit....well, until Monday morning.

Mr. Bunny was forever hanging out in a sunny spot in our backyard (see photo at left, taken on June 29), enjoying our plethora of weeds and grass (and last year, my garden plants).

Monday morning was no different... unfortunately, when I let our golden retriever, Sadie, outside (literally, "releasing the hounds"), Mr. Bunny's life was tragically cut short by our bouncing pup, who no doubt, thought he was a toy to play with. I heard the agonizing cry of Mr. Bunny, but it was too late. By the time my screams of "Stop, stop!" hit Sadie's ears, she released him, and Mr. Bunny was limp on the ground.


Needless to say, Remsen drove home from work to calm me down (as I had a near panic attack over the incident).


I know that it is Sadie's natural instinct to hunt and retrieve creatures, and that Darwinism taught me that (in the cycle of life), the strong survive...but all of logic in the world doesn't take away the horror of a bunny maiming; the slight sad and empty feeling when I glance into the backyard remains...even if Mr. Bunny is gone. Rest in peace, Mr. Bunny....and thanks for the memories.
Sadie Parrish...loves basketball, swimming, tennis, and "hunting wabbits"

2 comments:

Kent said...

Aww man that is traumatic! I love bunnies, we have lots of them too but I don't think the dogs have ever gotten one. Nanci got a squirrel once - how she did that, I'll never understand since she was the slowest dog alive, lol.

Anonymous said...

Sad for the bunny... .BUT,Sadie was just being a retriever;she would NEVER hurt anything for meanness...and life goes on...sometimes sadly. Sad,sweet story. Emme(Remsen would have had a funeral if he had been little...)