Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Reading Rainbow...

Does anyone out there in blogger land recall the show Reading Rainbow? I remember it really vividly from my childhood. I loved how the host would dish about great books with fun illustrations and give a synopsis of a different book in every episode. And I loved the music that introduced the show. It was one of those PBS shows...not as popular as Sesame Street or Mr. Rogers, but a truly great program nonetheless (especially if you were a voracious reader like I was). I couldn't read books fast enough and loved how they entertained me. I loved tv, too, so Reading Rainbow was the perfect combination for me.
Long story short, being on maternity leave has afforded me the possibility of checking out daytime tv. Among the mindless talk shows, daytime soaps, and otherwise crappy programming, I have found Reading Rainbow! It is slightly different, but I was excited to see that the show still existed and JR might, one day, love it (and reading) as much as I did.

That said, I have recently rekindled my love for reading this past month, finishing the aforementioned Savannah Blues and Savannah Breeze, and now Jeannette Walls' memoir The Glass Castle. It was beautifully written, though disturbing...I could not put it down. The author's childhood was crazy, and reading about it stirred all sorts of emotions...shock, anger, joy...all for a complete stranger. I HIGHLY recommend it. Many thanks to my great friend Susan for loaning it to me! I am now reading another Mary Kay Andrews book, Hissy Fit, in hopes of lightening my reading mood (thanks Meredith for loaning me this one!).

Don't get me wrong, even if I have focused more time and energy to reading, I still love my tube time! I am pumped for tonight's season finale of Project Runway (GO JILLIAN!) and celebrated when LOST finally started back (even if I can't figure out what the hell is going on)...if only my other favorites had not been interrupted by the writers' strike...it makes Tivo so sad and lonely!

4 comments:

Kent said...

Oh my gosh I loved Reading Rainbow! I'm shocked to hear it's still on. Am I completely dorky for wanting to set up the DVR to record it? lol

Anonymous said...

Does LaVar Burton (La Forge on Star Trek) still host the show? Love it!

Anonymous said...

You not only loved Reading Rainbow...you insisted that everyone in the house watch it with you!!!! I loved your enthusiasm for the show and for reading/ learning. Nance

Mrs. Hipp said...

Long live LeVar Burton!