Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...NYC 2007


Just back from a whirlwind weekend trip in the Big Apple...where we experienced lots of excitement (to the point of exhaustion!). NYC seemed busier this year, bustling with people and parades and traffic jams.

I admit, we overshopped this time around. We stopped at Bloomingdales and Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue, not to mention Daffy's discount store, H & M, Sephora, and Buy Buy Baby (like a Bed, Bath, and Beyond full of baby stuff).

We still did not make it to any museums (next time, we promise), but we did see the amazing Rockettes Christmas Spectacular Show at Rdio City Music Hall, and I was able to meet Terri Lewitt for lunch at the famous Boathouse restaurant in Central Park. Remsen and I were also so fortunate to meet up with his cousin, Lucia, for lunch on Monday at Bobby Flay's restaurant Bar Americain. If you ever go, don't order the shrimp and grits...it is just not as good as it is here in the south...most importantly, though, we had great conversation and fabulous hugs!
We are still amazed at all of the sights to take in by just walking around...and we walked until it hurt (note to all--lazy pregnant women should not try this kind of trip when 7 months pregnant!). While walking around on Sunday afternoon, I was able to catch a good bit of the Veteran's Day parade. I was amazed that it moved me the way it did (again, hormones, exhaustion, and a drumline).

And famous people, you ask? Yes! We saw lots of famous folks during our trip! First, after coming out of my favorite stationary store, Papyrus, we saw Richard Belzer, who plays John Munch on Law and Order SVU!! He was walking a dog with a friend, just like any other guy on the street. Then, we saw Hank Azaria, who is most famous, of course, for the Simpsons. Exciting! Lastly, I rode in our hotel elevator (New York Palace Hotel) with two members of the Miami Heat. Because it was me and not Remsen, I have no idea which players they were (I DO know it was not Shaq or Dwayne Wade). When I explained that I was amazed they were crammed into an elevator with regular folks (and no bodyguard), Remsen laughed and put it into perspective: why the hell would a 7 foot tall 330 pound baskeball player need a bodyguard?

Touche.

Anyway, if you are headed to Lady Liberty Land any time soon, we can offer advice (just don't ask for directions!).

No comments: